If you are a hobbyist or a DIYer, you might invest in your own lathe at some point. An expensive and elaborate lathe machine may not be a solution in such cases as you may not be using it professionally. Now you might ask yourself what type of lathe should I get. We have found a solution for mini metal lathes. Let us have a look at it in more details.
- 1 What is a mini metal lathe?
- 2 Benefits of the mini metal lathe
- 3 Top 5 best mini metal lathe of 2018
- 4 Safety rules
What is a mini metal lathe?
It is a small cylindrical tool that you can use to cut and shape your metal work. These are handy tools that save you money from renting a tool from a metal working shop or paying someone to do it for you. These are compact in size, so they do not take up a lot of space and are easy to work with, unlike any bigger lathes.
Benefits of the mini metal lathe
An interesting fact about lathes is that they were invented by the Egyptians and then enhanced by the Romans. This is an ancient power tool that is used to make metal fabrication, carpentry and glass work impeccable. Of course, there are benefits to reap from this machine which is why thousands of people across the globe use this machine daily. We have recorded some of the advantages in here, have a look:
- You can use a mini metal lathe on stainless steel, steel, brass, and aluminum
- You can use this on plastics with like nylon, acetal, Teflon, Delrin and even Plexiglass
- They are best suited to design cylindrical or may be tapered cylindrical and cubical at best
- It can drill holes into these metals that are otherwise an impossible task to render. Even a lady can easily handle tough metal drilling tasks she could never have handled with pink drills
- These machines can remove oxidation from metals in a jiffy
- Moreover, these mini power tools are lent a finish to your projects that turn them into mesmerizing artifacts
Top 5 best mini metal lathe of 2018
|Grizzly G8688||3/4 HP 110V 250W||7" x 12"||89.2 pounds||0-1100, 0-2500 RPM||1 Year|
|Mophorn Metal Lathe 8 x 16 Inch||750W||8" x 16"||177 pounds||50-2500 RPM||1 Year|
|Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe||3/4 HP 110V 250W||7" x 10"||87 pounds||0-1100, 0-2500 RPM||1 Year|
|SHOP FOX M1016||3/4 HP 110V||10" x 20"||386 pounds||150, 240, 490, 750, 1200 and 2400 RPM||2 Year|
|Erie Tools||0.53 HP 110V 500W||7" x 14"||104.2 pounds||100-2500 RPM||1 Year|
Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe, 7 x 12-Inch
This mini metal lathe performs exceptionally. It comes in a high-quality, sturdy casing made of premium quality materials, alongside perfect weight, good design, and dimensions for people who have small space. It’s a very cost-effective metal lathe but also a compromise in terms of quality.
It features a 3 jaw chuck and a 16mm chuck bore, a 12” distance between the centers and different other tools and a speed limit of 2500 RPM.
While Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal lathe can be used for different commercial applications like gunsmithing it can fail for handling precise professional high quality projects. Because of this, you might be interested in looking for a better machine, if you aren’t worried about nice quality pieces.Let us find out the advantages and disadvantages of this mini metal lathe
- Can be used in small or confined places
- Can handle different commercial applications
- Long lasting
- High-quality material construction
- Variable speed
- Well-designed at an affordable cost
- Top-notch customer service
In accordance with a buyer’s review on Amazon.com, this mini metal lathe was not so capable of doing threading and some other operations. Even its HP motor has some issues with quality. There were some packaging issues and the company needs to offer good packaging.
Mophorn Metal Lathe 8 x 16 Inch Precision Mini Lathe
Mophorn 8 x 16 inch Precision Mini Metal Lathe is simply excellent in producing precision work without taking up lots of spaces in your garage or shop. Be it for counter facing, turning, and also making spindles, bushings, models, prototypes and more, this precision mini metal lathe is completely capable of running at an excellently higher speed which runs from 50 to 2500 RPM. This benchtop mini metal lathe incorporates chuck guard with tool post and micro switch as well.
This benchtop precision mini metal lathe is equipped for performing different kinds of metal turning with the inclusion of I.D. and O.D. drilling, turning, cutting and threading tasks on different types of materials. This metal lathe can be utilized in areas like sample processing, mini precision parts processing, and modeling jobs. You can consider Mophorn precision mini metal lathe as the ideal machine for the modeler or hobbyist who is searching for a reliable machine to add the finest details to their construction project.
Let us find out what advantages and disadvantages this mini metal lathe has:
- Variable speed
- Easy to read through digital speed display
- Precision mini metal lathe
- Higher connectivity of the main spindle
No negative review has been found on Amazon.com
Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe by Central Machinery
Central Machinery 7 x 10-inch precision mini lathe is quite similar to the Grizzly G8688 mini metal lathe. This central machinery lathe is just ideal for small projects, hobbies, house projects and various applications which don’t need a huge amount of space and precision between the big chuck, centres, etc.
There are no big differences between the previous Grizzly and this Central Machinery model, albeit we would like one for its versatility. You can choose between the two based on ETA, shipping price and even brand. If you bought a Grizzly metal lathe before and were comfortable with the craftsmanship, then you may again invest in the same brand. But if you want to try something new, then just opt for this great Central Machinery model.
Central Machinery lathe’s technical specifications are quite same as the previous Grizzly model, with small distinctions like the micro switch from the chuck guard existent on the automatic feed of this model.
Let us find out what advantages and disadvantages this precision mini metal lathe has:
- A tool post and automatic feed
- Easy to use
- A chuck with micro switch
- Variable speed knob
- Plastic parts
- Issues with switch and knob control
- Unclear instruction
- Replacement parts are difficult to find
SHOP FOX M1016 10-Inch by 20-Inch Metal Lathe
After reviewing above-mentioned lathes, if you look for a compromise option between a mini lathe and an industrial metal lathe, then simply shop for the SHOP FOX M1016 10” by 20” metal lathe which is considered as the best value for your money we have seen on a lathe of this type. It comes with a wide range of speeds, threading capacities, a large chuck and so forth.
Other salient features of this SHOP FOX model incorporate a 3/4-inch spindle bore, a 3 jaw chuck, running on 110 V and a single phase motor with ¾ HP. There are many technical specifications.
This is really listed as the best metal lathe and just perfect for both beginners and professionals who want a good quality metal lathe which is somewhat budget-friendly. And contrasting it to the other metal lathes, we think this is the best buy and well worth your investment.
So, let us find out what advantages and disadvantages this metal lathe has:
- Long-lasting construction
- 2-years of warranty
- Includes all required accessories
- Great shipment and customer service
- Best value for the money
- Compact design and sturdy
- Combination of mini lathe and industrial metal lathe
Erie Tools 7 x 14 Precision Bench Top Mini Metal Milling Lathe
This precision mini metal lathe is known for performing various types of metal turning with supreme output. This lathe is perfect for the hobbyist or modeler who is looking to add finite detail to their construction project.
- It is considered ideal for the hobbyist because it can add finite details to projects
- It is used for mini precision works like modeling and processing
- Regarded good for threading, drilling, turning and cutting
- Comes with a digital spindle
- Speed varies within 100 to 2500 RPM
- Has amazing 11 gears that can change the speed
- It has a speed control knob
- Works with 110 volts with a motor of 0.53 HP
- It has a power indicator lamp signifying that the machine is on
- Features an emergency switch
- Works with a swing bed with digital speed
- The lathe needs to be setup and adjusted to work better.
- The manual is very bad, very little information as to setting up or anything else.
While working with a power tool you must always think about safety and a mini metal lathe is no exception to this. You must wear your protective gear, keep your eyes protected and must not wear jewellery when working on this tool. Also, it would be wise to establish your working area, especially if you have kids and pets in the house. Always run a check before you start working a mini lathe and keep an eye on it for any kind of maintenance work. All this should help you keep up these machines as well as ensure your safety while at work.